Friday 19 October 2012

Wild Pear Part 3: Wild Pears, Poached

While I was cooking Part 1 I noticed that the pears were softening quite quickly so I thought I would try a poached pear recipe to retain some of the texture of the pears. I'm not a fan of red wine (the staple poaching liquid) and am currently on a restricted budget, so I thought I would try poaching the pears in cranberry juice instead.

Wild Pear Part 3: Wild Pears, Poached

Ingredients:
  • 11 wild pears (10 for dessert and 1 for testing bite)
  • 1 carton of cranberry juice
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla paste
  • 100g sugar
To serve:
  • 50g creme fraiche
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
Method:
  • Peel pears without removing stalks
  • Put cranberry juice, lime juice, cinnamon and 1 tsp vanilla paste into pan
  • Gently place pears into poaching liquid
  • Gently bring to the boil until pears soften but retain shape (about 20-30 mins)
Pears poaching
  • Remove pears and set them aside
  • Add sugar to liquid and boil to reduce to syrupy consistency
  • Mix together vanilla paste and creme fraiche
  • Serve pears with syrup and creme fraiche
Poached pears with Vanilla Creme Fraiche



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions about foraging or about any of the recipes. I enjoy a challenge so I'm also happy to try out new recipes by recommendation. Thanks xx