Sunday 5 August 2012

Too wet to forage - Thai Roast Chicken & Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble

So yesterday we had a glorious day of sunshine, which of course means that today brought torrential rain. I took my bike for a run to the shops and got soaked through, so the only thing for it was to get into the kitchen and cook the blues away!

Today's experiments were:


Thai Roast Chicken
&
Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble

Thai Roast chicken


Ingredients:

Whole chicken
Tin of coconut milk
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 red chilli, cut in half lengthways
Splash of lime juice*
3 cloves of garlic
Glug of chilli and garlic oil
Maldon Salt
Pepper

  1. Place chicken in roasting tin and cover with onion rings. Add all remaining ingredients to the pan and cover with foil.
  2. Cook at 190C for 1 hour then remove the foil, baste with the sauce and cook uncovered for the remaining time (according to weight of chicken).
*I used bottled lime juice because I didn't have any fresh or frozen limes (I usually buy lemons and limes in bulk and juice them into ice cube trays and keep them in the freezer to use when I need them - it's very handy!).

Verdict - lovely juicy chicken! Next time I will use the juice of a whole fresh lime and add some lemongrass and coriander.

Rhubarb and Ginger crumble



I used James Martin's recipe except I used fresh ginger rather than dried.

I served the crumble with Cream o' Galloway Sticky Toffee Ice Cream - very wicked!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions about foraging or about any of the recipes. I enjoy a challenge so I'm also happy to try out new recipes by recommendation. Thanks xx