Tuesday 28 August 2012

Chanterelle Ice Cream

As promised - a blog about what I did with my recently foraged chanterelles . . .

Scotland seems to be the perfect place to find chanterelles - so much so that I'm now finding it difficult to find new recipes to try out. That's why I decided to try something a little bit different. Chanterelles go perfectly with eggs and cream, so what better way to use them than in a Chanterelle Ice Cream? Yes, I do mean I made mushroom ice cream. 

Chanterelle Ice Cream ingredients - that's a lot of eggs!!

Chanterelle Ice Cream

This makes a very large quantity - over 2 litres - so you may want to half it!

Ingredients:

  • 1 litre double cream
  • 1 litre milk
  • 500g sugar
  • 1 vanilla pod
  • 14 egg yolks
  • 2 whole eggs
  • Salt
  • 500g Chanterelle

Method:

  1. Boil all but eggs together in a pan
  2. Slowly pour the hot cream mix over eggs (whisking continuously, otherwise you'll scramble the eggs)
  3. Blend until smooth
  4. Freeze in ice cream maker
  5. Enjoy

Chanterelle Ice Cream with Salmonberries

I thought that this ice cream was overly sweet, but I'm not much of a sweet fan, so that may just be me. If I were to make it again I would probably only use 350-400g sugar and half the vanilla. As it was I ate it with Salmonberries I foraged on my way home tonight and their acidity helped to cut through the sweetness for me. I still have some Salmonberries leftover, so I might make a liqueur and post the outcome in a future blog.

Over the next few weeks/months we should be getting into Porcini/Bolete season here and I have set myself the challenge of making Porcini Popcorn. I may make something entirely more palatable too. Until then xx

2 comments:

  1. love love love! Keep up the blogging. I am enjoying reading them :)

    Mel bought some (fancy named popcorn that I cannot remember the name of) that tastes of 'cheese on toast'. They had loads of others...raspberry and cream, blue cheese and walnuts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying them. I picked my first Bolete (poor man's porcini) yesterday so I hope to find some more soon and then I'll blog again with the Porcini Popcorn xx

      Delete

Feel free to ask questions about foraging or about any of the recipes. I enjoy a challenge so I'm also happy to try out new recipes by recommendation. Thanks xx