Monday 5 October 2015

Juniper and Elderberry Lamb Stew

Autumn is upon us, in Scotland, so it's time to empty the freezer to make way for hearty soups and stews.

I know that lamb isn't a seasonal dish in Autumn, but I bought 1kg of lamb in the Spring (it was £2 and I can't resist a bargain). It's been sitting in the freezer, waiting for today. I think this stew would be enhanced by using some type of game meat.

The other ingredients I'm using are:

A locally-produced Elderberry wine
Juniper berries, which I foraged in Aviemore and dried.
Redcurrant Jelly, which I made from foraged redcurrants on a previous excursion.

This recipe is a true "makey-uppy" because I'm just using what I have in my cupboards/freezer.

Juniper and Elderberry Lamb Stew

Ingredients

1kg lamb, diced (I used lamb steaks)
4 carrots
2 onions
3 heaped tablespoons of flour
1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
500ml Elderberry wine
1 tbsp juniper berries, crushed
Oil
Salt
Pepper

Method

Preheat oven to 150°C
Soften carrots and onion in a pan with oil.
Remove and reserve once softened.
Mix lamb with flour, juniper berries, salt and pepper.
Brown lamb in the same pan used for carrots/onions. (I did this in batches)
Remove lamb and deglaze pan with a little of the wine.
Return lamb, carrots and onions to the pan and add the rest of the wine.
Bring to the boil and then place in preheated oven.
Cook for 1hr and then add redcurrant jelly.
Cook for another 1-1 1/2 hours, or until lamb is tender
Check for seasoning
Enjoy.

UPDATE: This was delicious! Definitely one for the cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions about foraging or about any of the recipes. I enjoy a challenge so I'm also happy to try out new recipes by recommendation. Thanks xx