Saturday 30 May 2015

Rustic Wild Garlic Pesto

It's another beautiful day here in Perthshire, so the pup and I went for a walk around the Birks of Aberfeldy. We were greeted on the walk by the pungent aroma of Wild Garlic. Cue a new recipe - Wild Garlic Pesto.

As with many wild foods, there are some poisonous lookalikes - Lily of the Valley, for example. Wild garlic can be identified by its starburst-esque white flowers and the aroma of garlic. Please make sure you identify it correctly, before you eat it.

As I'm camping, I'm using my gran's system of measurement of "just enough so it looks right" - I never will know how she made pancakes. Also, I don't have a battery-operated food processor, so I used my peg mallet and a plastic bag to crush my nuts.

Wild Garlic Pesto and Chicken sandwiches

Ingredients:
A handful of Wild Garlic leaves
2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan
A squeeze of lemon juice
A handful of Cashew Nuts
Approx 50ml Toasted Sesame Oil
Salt
Pepper
Bread

Method:
Chop the garlic leaves
Crush the nuts
Mix together with parmesan
Add oil a little at a time and blend together
Add lemon juice
Season to taste

I wanted a chunky, spreadable pesto, but you could add more oil and use a food processor to get a finer paste.

I'm presuming you know how to cook chicken, so do that.

Eat chicken and pesto in a sandwich.

Yum! And until next time, Happy Foraging! X


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions about foraging or about any of the recipes. I enjoy a challenge so I'm also happy to try out new recipes by recommendation. Thanks xx